A high-quality portable sewing machine with quilting capabilities is often difficult to find, but if you’re in the market for one, the Juki TL-2010Q may be an excellent choice. Because it is designed with quilters and professional sewing projects in mind, this sewing machine comes complete with loads of features that make the sewing experience a superior one. Whether you are a new quilter or already have years of experience under your belt, this machine is worth considering because it mixes stunning features with a rather budget-friendly price tag.
The Juki TL-2010Q is not only ideal for quilting, but also perfect for dressmaking, tailoring, and home décor items. You can use it as a table top machine or on machine quilting frames, which adds to its versatility. Our Juki TL-2010Q review contains all the information you may need before deciding whether this machine is worthy to be sitting on your sewing table.
|Speed||1500 Stitches Per Minute|
|Stitch length||6 mm|
|LED work area||yes|
|Dimensions||25.7 x 14 x 18 inches|
Juki TL-2010Q Review
Juki is a well-known name in the world of sewing machines, and the Juki TL-2010Q is proof that this company creates some of the best machines currently available on the market. The sewing machine comes fully packed with all the features and accessories you may need to get you started, whether you are a beginner or a more advanced user. Some of the features you might expect to find in the Juki TL-2010Q machine include:
- Automatic thread trimmer
- Maximum speed control
- Thread tension scale
- Presser foot pressure adjustment
- Automatic needle threader
- Knee lifter lever
- Needle up/down control
The Juki TL-2010Q is a performant, semi-professional quilting and sewing machine that is also portable and comes with a single needle. Built from aluminum die-casting, this sewing machine makes it possible for you to obtain professional-quality sewing at home. Some of the advanced features you can expect to find on this Juki machine include a bright white LED lighting, a slider for speed control, and an industrial-level sub-tension system. Built with precision sewing in mind, this machine boasts a large work area of 23 inches and comes complete with an auxiliary table. When it comes to performance on various types of materials, you will be pleased to learn that it is capable of sewing easily no matter what type of fabric you decide to use, ranging from light silk to tough denim or leather.
Ease of use
When it comes to the ease of use, we found the Juki TL-2010Q to be one of the easiest models to learn in its class, even if you are a complete beginner. Because it is very easy to master, it is a model preferred by many hobbyists. The setup process is very straightforward, and the machine comes with a comprehensive manual that can help you get up and running in no time. The instructions provided are very detailed, which means that even though the machine comes with a wide variety of features, you can learn to use it very quickly. Moreover, the controls and the LCD screen are highly intuitive, so it doesn’t take long to get used to using the Juki TL-2010Q sewing machine.
The Juki TL-2010Q is designed in a way that speeds up the sewing and quilting process. The sewing speed is 1500 stitches per minute, and you can get straight stitch only with this machine. It is of course a known fact that most users like a machine with fast sewing speeds because they allow you to complete a project quicker. Many of the similar machines available on the market have speeds under 1000 SPM, which makes the Juki TL-2010Q a powerful machine that can offer you speeds of up to 1500 SPM, no matter the kind of material you decide to use. You can easily adjust the speed of the machine and go as low as 200 SPM. Lower speeds are recommended for beginners or for delicate fabrics because they leave a bit more room for error than maximum speeds.
Built-in stitches, stitch length and width
The Juki TL-2010Q is a 1-stitch machine intended for heavy-duty tasks. This means that you can only create straight stitches with it. A dial is available so you can adjust the length and width of the stitch. The quality of the stitching you can obtain with the Juki TL-2010Q is truly outstanding. A reverse lever is also included if you want to perform a reverse stitch. The maximum stitch length of this sewing machine is 6 mm. Though it only comes with one stitch, it produces highly professional results and can be used for heavy-duty sewing tasks.
The Juki TL-2010Q comes complete with an LED light located on the bottom of the arm, which comes in very handy because it allows you to see your work at night. While some users mentioned that the light is rather weak, it is still a good feature to have if you don’t have plenty of natural light available when you work. You can also choose to replace the LED light with a more powerful one also available from Juki.
Dimensions and weight
When shopping for a new sewing machine, you need to consider a couple of things, such as the space you have available to store it and whether you will need to transport it on a regular basis. The weight and the dimensions of the machine are important, especially if you don’t have a lot of space available on your sewing table, or if you want to be able to transport it to classes. The Juki TL-2010Q is a lightweight machine that can fit into lots of spaces with ease. Even though it is made from die-cast aluminum, the machine is still lightweight for a model of its size. The overall dimensions of the Juki TL-2010Q sewing machine are 17.75” (W) x 9” (H) x 8.5” (D) and its weight is 25.4 lbs., including the auxiliary table.
The Juki TL-2010Q retails at around the $999 mark, which may be a tad more expensive than other quilting machines on the market, but still offers great value for money, especially when you consider that it comes packed with features. This fantastic sewing machine is bound to last you for years, which means that you should treat it more like an investment. Moreover, when you consider the high-quality stitches that you can get with this machine, which look very professional, the price looks more like a bargain.
As mentioned above, the Juki TL-2010Q packs quite a punch when it comes to the number of features it offers. There are a lot of functions and features that you can expect it to deliver and some of these include:
- Automatic thread trimmer – the machine comes with an automatic thread button so you can trim the bobbin and needle threads simultaneously simply by pressing a button. You can engage the thread trimming mechanism both via the trim button and the foot controller.
- Maximum speed control – the machine is equipped with a speed control lever that offers you complete control over the sewing speed. You can choose to set the speed anywhere from 200 to 1500 stitches per minute for precise sewing.
- Thread tension scale – this feature allows you to adjust the tension of the thread to suit both the fabric and the type of thread used.
- Speed control mechanism – the Juki TL-2010Q has a microcomputer-controlled speed control mechanism that lets you obtain perfect results when sewing materials at low speeds. This means that you can control the machine accurately no matter the speed you decide to use, which comes in very handy when sewing multiple layers or thick materials.
- Needle Up/Down control – the machine has the ability to stop the needle in the down position when you stop sewing, for accurate free motion work. You can simply press the needle up/down button when you want to move the needle up again.
- Presser foot pressure adjustment – thanks to this feature, you can adjust the pressure of the pressure foot according to the type of fabric you’re working with. To do so, all you need to do is turn the regulator on the top of the machine.
- Illuminating feature – the Juki TL-2010Q comes complete with a bright-white LED lighting so you can get an illuminated view of your work, which allows for precise sewing. The LED is replaceable, so you can opt for a more powerful one if needed.
- Easy bobbin replacement – the enlarged bobbin case area of the machine makes it easy to replace the bobbin whenever necessary.
- Automatic needle threader – you can always start sewing quickly thanks to the push lever threader that effortlessly threads the needle, so you don’t have to worry about eyestrain when doing it manually.
- Multiple quilting feet – the Juki TL-2010Q comes with a Juki 1/4 inch and 1/5 inch quilting feet, suitable for free-hand embroidery and free motion quilting.
- Knee lifter lever – this feature lets you lift or lower the presser feet without having to use your hands. The maximum height the presser foot can be raised to is 12 mm.
- Even feed foot – this is an indispensable feature for fabrics that are more difficult to handle, such as velvets and georgette, as it allows you to create even seams.
- Extension table – one of the reasons many users prefer the Juki TL-2010Q sewing machine is the fact that there is a lot of room available for your project, mostly thanks to the extension table that comes with it. This makes it very easy to handle larger quilts and other heavy projects. Moreover, the throat portion of the machine is especially designed with large quilts in mind.
- The machine also comes with a variety of accessories in the box, including a foot controller, a cleaning brush, a cover for the machine, multiple feet including a zipper foot and presser foot, a power cord, a spool cord and several needles.
- It is quite lightweight and portable.
- Sports an automatic thread trimmer.
- Very fast at up to 1500 stitches per minute.
- You can adjust the speed manually from 200 to 1500 stitches per minute.
- Suitable for multiple layers and heavy fabrics, as well as quilting.
- The needle’s position control works smoothly.
- Includes a bright-white LED to illuminate the working area.
- Comes with multiple accessories, including an auxiliary table and multiple feet.
- Low noise is a big plus, as the machine is very quiet for its power and dimensions. It doesn’t make too much noise even at the highest speed.
- Extra space due to the auxiliary table makes the quilting experience better.
- It is a bit expensive for beginners, but good value for money when you factor in the features.
- Only comes with a single stitch, which may not be enough for some users.
- The LED is not as bright as you might expect for a machine in this price range.
- The machine requires quite a lot of maintenance, including regular oiling.
The Juki TL-2010Q is a feature-packed quilting machine that works great for beginners and experienced crafters alike. Even though it doesn’t come with many stitches, it is still one of the best models on the market for those who are looking for a machine that can handle quilting and even works for commercial needs. This is a highly reliable and sturdy machine that you should expect to have for the years to come and that can help you make the jump from a hobby to a career.